September 22, 2011

Time for an Oil Change




It's that time again. Every 3 months or so I have the oil changed in my car, and right now it's over due. I have honestly let a few things slide, so not only does the oil need changing, the pumpkins (rear differential) need lubrication, the spark plugs need swapping, and the whole engine needs a good tune up. I know if I neglect it much longer the car will begin to grumble, miss-fire, stall, and eventually break down along the side of the road.

Spiritually I find myself in same place as my car these days. I'm over due for an "oil change". In my case I've got to pause from my rut of a routine. Instead of checking email and Facebook each morning, I need to open my God mail and sit in the presence of His face. I find my life sputtering and miss-firing because I have been skimping on my devotional time, reading commentaries rather than studying scripture, and rushing through prayer rather than basking in the Son.

In a low a few days ago I dug my Bible out. It was under 2 books and an alarm clock and has been there for an embarrassingly long time. (In my fleshly defense, it's so thick it hurts my wounded arm to carry it, so I've been reading on my iPhone). I opened the cover and a note page fell out. Over the past 13 years, the Lord has given me words of encouragement for my son who struggles with a benign tumor. This is the page that fell out...

Funny how the Lord works, those promises given to my son, written in my own handwriting, now spoke volumes to my heart. It was like warm healing oil washing over my heart.

Well, like my car needs more than an oil change, my soul needs more than a short encounter with a piece of paper. I need a tune up spiritually. So I'm off to dig back into the word. I expect I have a few filters to swap out. I've been watching too much TV lately. I know I need new spark plugs. My body needs more exercise. To me, not much is sweeter than prayer walking.

I'd encourage you to take a good look at your own spiritual vehicle as well. Are you stopping by the scriptural drive thru like me? Neglecting the only One who can keep you running? Filling up on cheap substitutes; like TV?
Start your tune up today! Christians should never be stranded by the side of the road of their own lives out of neglect, Amen?

Enough for now, I gotta call Jiffy Lube and get my car serviced so I do not need to call you for a ride!

Click here for my free gift to you: An Oil Change Jumpstart

No comments:

Post a Comment