February 23, 2012

Whatever is Admirable

Confession: I am a snob.

Ugh. I am pondering this thought of thinking on things that are admirable and I realize that there are not many things that I can say I admire on this Earth. 

 

When I looked up the definition of admiration I found it means to respect, have warm approval, and to regard with wonder and surprise. 

This one train of thought really reveals my sinful nature... This one confession feels a bit too vulnerable, yet I am going to be honest and truthful anyway. If I need to have my thoughts focus on "whatever is admirable" I need to be careful not to come to the conclusion that nothing is admirable.

I think the really issue is that I see the wonder and miraculous creations in nature to be due admiration. The things that take my breath away do not stir the faintest of emotion in most people around me. As a Christina woman, striving to be a godly woman, I definitely do not admire those who do not have a heart for the Lord. Like them yes. Pray for them, absolutely. Admire them? In a word, no.

This is one of those thought filters that I need to be careful with personally. My strongest short-coming is that I am arrogant.Thank goodness the Lord has vision that sees right through me and can nail this heart issue of mine.

For now, I have to purpose to find things to admire. I have to confess, this is one of the hardest areas of my thought process to crack. 

Things that I regard with wonder and surprise: 

That Jesus found me and still chose to save me...

birds, flowers, and trees...

early morning mist rising off a body of water...

The melodious call of a bird to its mate...

 laughter...

the smell of a cozy hug from a small child...

the love, compassion, and acceptance of my husband...

a child's first year of life...

poganip...

 

 

How about you? 

I bet there you find this one easier than I. 

What do you admire?




"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthythink about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment