May 8, 2010

Sights and Memories

I had to take a detour to capture this picture. Lilacs.
Oh, my goodness I haven't seen a lilac tree since I lived in Connecticut... That makes it about 31 years ago.

Lately I kept seeing a beautiful purple color begin to emerge as spring sprang here in the mountains.
I saw it as a blur for the first couple of days. I was conscious that there was something different and yet I didn't take the time to look at what I was seeing.

I really cannot tell you why I actually looked more closely.
Sometimes I never take the time to really "see" the world around me. I am so glad I didn't miss this one.

Lilacs.
I stopped the car to snap a few pictures and the smell hit me. Oh my goodness the smell!
I was transported back to being about 11 years old. I lived in Connecticut with my family on a 200 hundred year old farm.

The house was nestled in the country and there beautiful trees and flowers there. I think that small town of Middlebury is where I fell in love with nature. Birds and flowers, ladybugs and dragonflies, spittle bugs and spider webs, creeks and thick woods, I remembered it all with the first scent of the lilacs.
I only lived there about 4 years, from 4th-8th grade, but this is where the love story between me and my Lord began. If I were to write the story, I think I would start here... among the lilac trees.

Back to now... I am too busy! How many days had I driven by without seeing them? And what was I busy with? Grocery lists, bills to pay, kids to transport, work to do...

Slow down, Bekki. Life is but a vapor.
I know I've said this before, but I want to live life on purpose. I want each breath I breath to be a good thing.

If I speak, I want to speak words of encouragement and truth wrapped in love.

If I see, I want to see creation reaching toward the heavens- like those lilacs.

If I hear I want to hear the sound of the birds, the wind, and the voices of God's children.

If I touch, I want it to leave an aroma of love behind.

If I smell, I want to remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment